Frank Bette Center for the Arts
Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout 2017
Frank Bette Center for the Arts
2017 PLEIN AIR PAINTOUT
July 31 - August 5, 2017
Application Deadline: Sunday, April 23, 2017
Juror: To be announced
Please read the entire prospectus:
The Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout (PAPo) event is a fund raiser for the Frank Bette Center for the Arts, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Frank Bette Center for the Arts Plein Air Paintout:
Forty artists are selected from all applicants. Artists will paint Alameda’s tree lined streets, stately Victorian homes and shops, marinas, ships in the Estuary, views of San Francisco and the Bay “en plein air” July 31-August 5, 2017. Artists may paint anywhere within the city limits. All painting mediums are acceptable. Paintings will be juried for awards and for sale on Saturday, August 5. During the week there will be a separate Quick Draw event in a specified location.
Application Process & Fee:
• Entries are processed online by www.OnlineJuriedShows.com through Sunday, April 23, 2017.
• The non-refundable entry fee of $48 is payable when you apply online using a credit card or PayPal. Entry fees must be paid by the entry deadline. Unpaid applications will not be considered for selection.
• Print your receipt for your records.
• Submit 3 RGB color images in jpeg format.
• Submitted images should represent recent plein air artwork.
• Application deadline: Sunday, April 23, 2017.
Entering Your Images:
Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: www.onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx.
Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
The Jurying Process
The forty artists are selected from all applicants by the selection team. Selected artists will be notified by email and the list will be posted on FBCA web site Monday, May 1, 2017.
Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout Calendar:
Monday - Friday, July 31-August 5: Artists paint “en plein air” in Alameda.
• Monday, July 31 - Artist check-in and substrate stamping at Frank Bette Center for the Arts Gallery all day beginning 8 am.
• Wednesday, August 2 - Quick Draw on Grand Street - bay to estuary includes Franklin Park.
• Saturday, August 5 – 10 am-6:00 pm Outdoor exhibit and sale at South Shore Center. Artists hang as many paintings as fit on 3 panels each 3’x6’: 1 horizontal, 2 vertical.
• August 11 - September 30 – Alameda en Plein Air gallery exhibit of 2017 paintout paintings in the Frank Bette Center for the Arts Gallery.
• Friday, August 11 • 7-9 pm • Opening Reception Alameda en Plein Air.
• Friday, September 8 – Artists are paid for August 5 sales.
Participation in the Saturday, August 5 exhibit at South Shore Center is required.
• Artwork submitted for Awards must have been created en plein air, within Alameda city limits, and without the benefit of photography between July 31-August 5, 2017.
• All painting mediums are acceptable.
• Artists are responsible for framing their exhibited artwork, bringing it to the exhibit locations and hanging it on the displays provided. Artwork with a finished edge is acceptable. Filament line and scissors are provided.
• Only those paintings created in the 2017 paintout are eligible for awards.
• All paintings must have the 2017 Frank Bette Plein Air Paintout event stamp on the substrate.
• After the awards jurying process is completed, returning artists may add to their display plein air paintings of Alameda from previous Frank Bette Plein Air Paintouts.
• All exhibited artwork must be for sale. Artists set their own prices.
• All sales transactions during the paintout whether they are made during an exhibit or off your easel out on the streets, are to be processed by FBCA and the commission rates are the same as below.
• A 40% commission on all sales is retained to benefit FBCA as this is a fund raising event for the center. 60% of the sale price is paid to the artist.
• Unsold paintings are the responsibility of the artist.
• Artwork refunds to purchasers are permitted within 7 days with a receipt if artwork is in original condition.
• Upon request, we will do our best to provide complimentary lodging for artists from outside the area in private homes in Alameda for the week of the paintout. More information will be available upon acceptance.
Alameda en Plein Air Gallery Exhibit:
August 4-September 30, 2017
• Artists are requested to submit artwork not sold at the Saturday Exhibit to the Alameda en Plein Air gallery exhibit at Frank Better Center for the Arts. Participation is optional but strongly encouraged.
• There is no additional fee to participate in the gallery exhibit.
• Commission is 40% to Frank Bette Center for the Arts on gallery exhibit sales, 60% to the artist.
• Unsold paintings are the responsibility of the artist. Call the gallery to see if you have unsold paintings to pick-up.
Gallery Exhibit Dates:
Saturday, August 5 & Sunday, August 7 Receiving artwork for gallery exhibit Friday, August 11 – Opening Gala, 7-9 pm.