Maryhill Museum of Art
Pacific Northwest Plein Air Event 2017
13th Annual Pacific Northwest Plein Air Event
in the Columbia River Gorge
July 31 - August 4, 2017
at Maryhill Museum of Art
35 Maryhill Museum Drive
Goldendale, WA 98620 USA
Maryhill Museum of Art is located in a vast and inspiring landscape, located high above the Columbia River. This year Maryhill Museum will be exhibiting work for the entire month of August, the highest tourism month for the museum.
Facebook link to the Pacific Northwest Plein Air Event
Website - http://pleinairhoodriver.blogspot.com to see last year's winners, photos of past events, and updated information.
Come join artists who will share your passion for this spectacular landscape!
Month long exhibition at the Maryhill Museum of Art, Goldendale WA - August 4- 27, 2017
Opening Reception on Friday, August 4 from 5-7PM in the Mary and Bruce Stevenson wing.
Online Call to Artists-
BEGINS Monday Feb 20
CLOSES Monday Mar 20, 11:59 p.m. PST
NOTIFICATION of artists by email from Online Juried Shows: Thursday Mar 30
• Paint dates: Monday July 31 through Thursday Aug 3, 4PM deadline
• First day meet and greet: Monday July 31, 2017 8AM at Dog River Coffee, 411 Oak Street, Hood River, OR.
• Drop Off Work: Thursday Aug 3, 4PM deadline. Work should be dropped off at Receiving, located at the end of the museum’s Service Road just west of the public entrance road (A map will be provided).
• Informal Artist Social/Deadline Celebration for Artists: Thursday Aug 3 after 4PM in the Maryhill Museum Cafe.
• Event Opening Gala/Reception: Friday Aug 4, 5-7PM (wine and hors d’oeuvres).
• Show exhibit dates: Friday Aug 4 - Sunday Aug 27, 10AM-5PM every day.
• Pick up work: Sunday August 27 4PM Receiving, located at the end of the museum’s Service Road just west of the public entrance road.
Juror Workshop: Mike Hernandez, http://www.mikehernandez-art.com Saturday Aug 5 Maryhill Museum
1) First Place - tba
2) Second Place - tba
3) Third Place - tba
7) 4 Honorable Mentions
8) Best Sky
9) Best Mountain
10) Best Water
11) National Scenic Area Award
12) Maryhill Museum Award
13) Purchase Awards
We will be accepting up to 40 artists to participate in this show. You will be notified by email of acceptance. Jurying into the show is done online through OnlineJuriedShows.com by a three person selection committee. Notification of artists by email Thursday Mar 30.
Entry fee is $45 per artist. Enter 4 images of your best plein air work. The entry fee contributes to awards for the artists and show expenses including marketing, venue and jurying fees. Entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid by the entry deadline.
Entering Your Digital Images:
Enter your best Plein Air work for consideration to be selected to be a participant.
• Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
• Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: https://onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx.
• Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
Awards Juror - Mike Hernandez
A native Angeleno, Mike Hernandez is a plein air painter skilled in gouache, oil and acrylic, who’s works have been featured in several on-line publications as well as galleries. His process began as a young child, painting still life images. Influenced by the likes of Edgar Payne, Sorolla and Franz Bischoff, Mike soon explored the foundations of color and light in the outdoors – striving to find the beauty in the ordinary. With a palette that resides at the crossroads between industrial and landscapes, he finds inspiration anywhere from the Eastern Sierra range to the muddy concrete banks of the Los Angeles River. Mike studied at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, graduating with a B.A. in 1998. Currently he is a Production Designer at Dreamworks Animation as well as a nation-wide sought-after workshop instructor. His works can be found in several private collections around the world.
Plein Air Painting Workshop with Mike Hernandez Aug 5, 2017
Workshop with Mike Hernandez in the Columbia River Gorge.
Check out Mike’s website: http://www.mikehernandez-art.com
Sales at the event will be handled by Maryhill Museum.
Commission is 60% Artist/40% Maryhill Museum of Art. Commissions help to underwrite Maryhill’s annual exhibitions and programs.
Submitting Your Competition Entries and Deadline
You may enter only Plein Air work that has been completed during the 4 day paint-out, Monday July 31 through Thursday Aug 3.
Size of work - 72” total perimeter dimension unframed, for example this means a 16” x 20” = 72” or any combination that equals 72" perimeter maximum painting size is the maximum size of work that will be accepted into the exhibit.
Work must be delivered ready for hanging (no sawtooth hangers) by Thursday Aug 3, 4PM.
You may enter up to 4 paintings to be hung in the show, all must be for sale. 2 replacement works will be accepted to replace sold work, for a total of 6 paintings submitted to the show.
DROP OFF LOCATION AND HOURS - Thursday Aug. 3, 4PM
Maryhill Museum of Art
35 Maryhill Museum Drive
Goldendale, WA 98620
Work should be dropped off at Receiving, located at the end of the museum’s Service Road just west of the public entrance road. (A map will be provided.)
Artists make their own housing arrangements if they wish to stay or camp in the Columbia Gorge.
There are many options for hotels, hostels and camping in the surrounding cities of Goldendale, WA, The Dalles, OR, Hood River, OR just to name a few…
See the blog http://pleinairhoodriver.blogspot.com for more information.
State park fees: if you are painting or camping at a state park there may be a parking or use fee. Check these websites for info:
We have an event photographer; images of work or painters may be used in this or future advertising.
Maryhill Museum of Art, its sponsors, staff and volunteers, will not be responsible for any theft, loss, incident, accident or legal situations to the artist, artwork and/or personal property before, during or after the competition. Artists are responsible for providing any or all insurance or to cover themselves, their artwork and/or their property. Maryhill Museum of Art will not be responsible for any artwork left, not picked-up or arranged for pick-up or delivery by the artist. Artists are responsible to ask and receive permission to paint private property where needed and should not otherwise trespass on private property. Artists entering this event are painting at their own risk. Maryhill Museum of Art, the artists, staff, volunteers and sponsors of this event are not responsible for any accidents, personal injury, loss or damage which occurs during this event.
Thank you for entering the Pacific Northwest Plein Air Competition Event! Maryhill Museum of Art is delighted to host the event this year. Situated as it is at the eastern end of the Columbia River Gorge, we can assure you that the views at the museum are breathtaking.
To learn more about Maryhill Museum of Art please see our website, www.maryhillmuseum.org, or friend us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/maryhillmuseum.