Plein Air Magazine/Streamline Publishing, Inc.
6th Annual Plein Air Salon Feb/Mar
**ALL ENTRY PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE BY THE DEADLINE**
PleinAir_magazine presents the sixth annual PleinAir Salon. In the spirit of the French Salon created by the Academie des Beaux-Arts in Paris, this annual competition, with six bi-monthly contests leading to annual Salon Grand Prize winners, is designed to stimulate artistic growth through competition. The contest rewards artists with $31,500 in cash prizes and exposure of their work, with the winning painting featured on the cover of PleinAir magazine.
It is our belief that cash prizes provide further inspiration and an avenue for artists to thrive and create new work by helping alleviate financial pressure.
Winners in each bi-monthly contest may receive recognition and exposure through PleinAir magazine’s print magazine, e-newsletter, and social media. Winners of each bi-monthly contest will be entered into the annual competition.
Annual Awards: $31,500 in Cash Awards
1st place: $15,000 cash prize plus the cover of PleinAir magazine!
2nd place: $3,000 cash prize plus a feature
in the digital edition of PleinAir magazine
3rd place: $1,500 cash prize
Three finalists: $500 cash prizes — total $1,500
Plus, all winners will be showcased in PleinAir magazine!
PLUS, new this round is we are offering bi-monthly cash prizes!
1st Place - $1,000
2nd Place - $500
3rd Place - $250
Categories (Subject Matter):
All entries must be landscape-related. Figures and still life must be in an outdoor setting (studio works of outdoor settings are acceptable in categories other than Plein Air).
Plein Air work only — Must be completed en plein air, all subject matter eligible
Building — Cityscapes, farms, architectural elements (plein air or studio work)
Vehicles — Running or run-down (plein air or studio work)
Figure in the Landscape — Outdoor environments with figures, animals, or birds (plein air or studio work)
Floral — Gardens, fields of flowers, etc. (plein air or studio work)
Landscape — Landscape or outdoor environment without figures, animals, or birds (plein air or studio work)
Nocturne — Night scenes, sunrises, sunsets (plein air or studio work)
Outdoor Still Life — Table settings, garden ornaments, etc. (plein air or studio work)
Water — Seascapes, coastal, marine, rivers and streams, etc. (plein air or studio work)
Sketchbook — Sketches, travel sketching, iPad sketching, drawing (plein air or studio work)
Student (HS or College) — Must be over the age of 18 (proof of age and school attendance required), all subject matter is eligible (plein air or studio work)
Artist Under 30 — Must be under the age of 30 (proof of age required), all subject matter is eligible (plein air or studio work)
Artist Over 65 — Must be over the age of 65 (proof of age required), all subject matter is eligible (plein air or studio work)
Acrylic — Paintings can be of any subject matter in the acrylic medium
Oil — Paintings can be of any subject matter, but only in the oil medium
Pastel — Paintings can be of any subject matter, but only in the pastel medium
Watercolor — Paintings can be of any subject matter, but only in the watercolor medium
Bi-Monthly Competition Awards (20 winners each cycle):
Artist Profile in weekly PleinAir Today newsletter.
1st Place Overall
2nd Place Overall
3rd Place Overall
Best Overall Acrylic
Best Overall Oil
Best Overall Pastel
Best Overall Watercolor
Best Student Artist (age and school verification required)
Best Artist Under 30 (age verification required)
Best Artist Over 65 (age verification required)
Best Plein Air Work Only
Best Figure in the Landscape
Best Outdoor Still Life
• All individuals entering must be at least 18 years of age to accept cash prizes.
• Those entering the Student, Artists Under 30, or Artists Over 65 categories must verify age (and in the Student category, school attendance) if selected as an award winner.
• Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee.
• The fee for the first image submitted is $35, and additional images submitted are $13 each (U.S. dollars).
• All entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid by the entry deadline.
• There is no limit to the number of images you can enter in each bi-monthly competition, and images can be re-entered in subsequent competitions as many times as you wish.
• Images can be entered in multiple categories as long as they meet the category criteria. Please note that if you enter the same image in multiple categories, that image can only be selected as a winner of one category.
• When first entering the PleinAir Salon, you’ll be asked to create a profile. If you do not have an artist account on
www.OnlineJuriedShows.com, click here:
http://www.onlinejuriedshows.com/CreateNewAccount.aspx. This takes just a few minutes, and then you can upload quality images of your paintings and select the categories you wish to enter.
• Competition is open to residents of any state or country where acceptable by law.
• Grand Prize winners are not eligible to win the Grand Prize within 12 months of winning.
• PleinAir magazine reserves the right to reject or not display any image that it feels is inappropriate or distasteful or if the image’s resolution quality is poor.
• All images must have the signature of the artist.
• Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
• Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: www.onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx.
• After the close of each bi-monthly competition, an invited guest judge (top museum or gallery professional or master artist) selects the best paintings from each category. The winners will be notified and official announcements and promotion will begin approximately two weeks after the close of each contest.
By entering the PleinAir Salon, you agree that you are submitting images of your own original artwork and not that of other artists or material in which you do not hold the copyright. The original work does not have to currently be in your possession.
You are also agreeing, in advance, to have your submitted artwork published to any print or digital/electronic property of Streamline Publishing, Inc. This includes, but is not limited to, print and digital magazines, newsletters, websites, e-mails, social media pages, and promotional materials in perpetuity.
At times, Streamline Publishing, Inc. may request a higher resolution image than was submitted through the PleinAir Salon. When entering, you agree to fulfill this request in a timely manner in order for Streamline Publishing, Inc. to promote the contest winners.
Each bi-monthly contest ends at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on the published final day of that contest.
Only electronic submissions through the contest’s official website will be accepted. Entries received by mail or physical delivery in the form of photographs, discs, or actual paintings will not be accepted.