Under A Vast Sky
2017 National Juried Exhibition & Annual Members Show
Tucson Desert Art Museum
Exhibit dates: October 13 – December 3, 2017
American Women Artists has been holding annual exhibitions since 1990. This year, they are offering their first national museum exhibition in their 25 in 25 campaign; an initiative to have twenty-five museum shows in 25 years. This year’s annual National Juried Exhibition – at the Tucson Desert Art Museum - is for AWA Associate and Associate with Distinction Members. In addition to monetary and merchandise awards, final works selected will appear on AWA’s website gallery, be featured in our monthly e-newsletters, and promoted through AWA’s social media channels. AWA is dedicated to providing professional opportunities for women in the visual arts. We invite you to join AWA as an Associate member and enter our annual national juried exhibition.
Open to women at least 18 years of age, who are working in the fine arts and living in the United States, Canada, or Mexico. Applicants MUST BE AN ASSOCIATE or ASSOCIATE WITH DISTINCTION MEMBER of American Women Artists to submit work. If you were a member in 2016 and/or prior years but have not yet renewed, or if you would like to join as a new member, please email email@example.com to complete the process to join or renew as an Associate member. If you do not pay for your membership by the May 28th submission deadline, your entry will be disqualified. AWA Associate membership dues are $60 annually, Associate with Distinction dues are $75.00.
American Women Artists seeks to select an exhibition of representational fine art demonstrating excellence in terms of composition, technique, mastery of medium and quality of design. The final selection will be an exemplary showcase of a diverse group of representational artwork by artists who draw, paint or sculpt in contemporary or traditional style and fitting the show theme of Under a Vast Sky. Approximately 60 pieces of work by AWA Associate and Associate with Distinction members will be chosen as the finalists to be exhibited in AWA’s 2017 National Juried Exhibition, to be shown alongside works by its Master and Signature membership at the Tucson Desert Art Museum in Tucson, Arizona.
1. The 2017 National Juried Exhibition is open to AWA Associate and Associate with Distinction members in good standing.
2. Applications may be submitted from March 21 to May 28, at midnight PST, finalists will be announced June 29th.
3. Only on-line entries will be accepted for this show. NO MAILED SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED. Please submit all entries through www.OnlineJuriedShows.com starting March 21, 2016.
4. Entries must be representational work(s) of original concept and design.
5. Acceptable mediums for painting: oil, acrylic, watercolor, gouache, pastel, color ink, encaustic, batik.
6. Acceptable mediums for drawing: conte crayon, colored pencil, graphite, charcoal, pen & ink, scratchboard.
7. Acceptable mediums for sculpture: cast metal, fabricated metal, stone, glass, wood, and any fired permanent medium such as terra cotta, stoneware, porcelain, earthenware.
8. Mixed medium pieces using the above-listed materials are acceptable as well.
9. Not acceptable mediums include craft, jewelry, photography, collage, any work containing computer generated elements of any kind, prints, textiles or fiber art.
10. Maximum entries: six (6)
11. Maximum of one (1) piece of artwork per accepted artist will be juried into the exhibition.
12. Maximum size for paintings and drawings is up to 48” in either dimension, unframed.
13. Maximum size for sculpture: combined dimensions may not exceed a total of 120 inches (height + width + depth), Weight limit of 300 lbs.
14. All works submitted for the juried exhibition must be for sale. All works submitted for the competition must be available for sale after acceptance into the show and upon receipt of artist exhibition agreement due to AWA by June 29th.
15. By submitting images to this juried opportunity, you understand and agree that accepted images will be displayed on AWA’s website, Facebook page, and other social and/or print media. Images do become part of AWA’s archives and may be used for this and future AWA promotions. Artists will retain copyright to their image(s).
16. By entering this exhibition, you agree that you have read and will abide by all rules outline in this prospectus.
17. All membership and jury fees are non-refundable; over-payment of any fee will be considered a donation and will not be refunded.
The National Juried Exhibition application process will begin March 21 and close on May 28, at midnight PST. Finalists will be announced June 29, 2017. Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: www.onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx.
$45.00 for up to TWO (2) ENTRIES. Each additional entry $10.00 up to maximum of 6 entries.
You must be a current (or new) Associate or Associate with Distinction Member of AWA to enter Juried Exhibition. Dues must be paid by May 28, 2016 or submission is disqualified.
Electronic payment for entry fees should be made through OnlineJuriedShows.com via PayPal or credit card at time of application. Entry fees must be paid by the entry deadline. Membership dues can be paid separately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for invoice that can be paid directly with credit card or PayPal account or by mailing a check of $60 (Associate Member) or $75 (Assoc. with Distinction Member) to: AWA, PO Box 755, Lodi, California 95240
Entries will be accepted March 21 through May 28, 2017
June 29, 2017
More than 20 award categories for entire exhibit, over $20,000 in cash and prizes, with two Grand Prize award packages (one for Best Painting/Drawing and one for Best Sculpture), genre-based award categories (Best Landscape, Best Figurative, etc…), art magazine awards and Awards of Excellence. Award packages are designed to support, encourage and inspire women in the visual fine arts.
Selection jurors for AWA’s National Juried Competition work independently to assess the entries for selection to finalists. Each year, a different group is put together.
Rhonda Smith - Director, Tucson Desert Art Museum
Dr. Mark Sublette - President, Medicine Man Gallery and Author of the Charles Bloom Murder Mystery Series
Christine Brindza - Glasser Curator, Art of the American West
All jury status notifications will be emailed by OnlineJuriedShows.com by June 29, 2017. A list of accepted artists and their works will be posted at www.americanwomenartists.org by June 29, 2017.
Up to 60 artists will be selected as exhibition finalists. One piece per finalist will be selected to exhibit at the Tucson Desert Art Museum. Gallery slideshows of AWA’s 2017 National Juried Exhibition Annual Members Show will also be posted on www.americanwomenartists.org
The decision of the jurors is final. All accepted artists will be provided with a consignment form to be completed, signed and returned to AWA by July 13, 2017. Once accepted, works may be pre-sold but must hang in gallery for duration of show and proceeds must be shared with the Tucson Desert Art Museum and AWA under Commission terms outlined below. All accepted Paintings & Drawings must be framed or gallery-wrapped (gallery wrapped must be completely finished, painted around edge, no tape), and wired for hanging. Accepted Sculpture must be ready to place with any stands and title plates securely fastened.
**Advertising Opportunity in at least three different national publications– for Accepted Artists Only.
• 2-D artists: will receive 50% of the selling price.
• 45% to the selling Gallery and 5% will go to AWA (non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization).
• 3-D: will receive 55% of the selling price.
• 40% to the selling Gallery and 5% will go to AWA (non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization).
• Artwork must be priced in accordance with artist’s current pricing structure.
• Payment for work sold will be made directly to the artist from the Gallery by the 10th of the month following the sale.
Each accepted Artist is responsible for the delivery of their shipped or hand delivered work to: Tucson Desert Art Museum, 7000 E. Tanque Verde Road, Tucson, AZ 95715 during the following dates: September 25 – October 3, 2017. Any artist shipping their work will include a completed prepaid return shipping form with their art. All works must have appropriate identification including title, size, artist name and contact information, price and medium on the piece. You must include a $25 unpacking/packing fee with your shipped work. A Shipping Instructions form will be supplied by AWA to all finalists and a copy of this form must be included in the package with the work.
LIABILITIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, SALES
By entering this exhibition, artist agrees that they have read and will abide by all rules outlined in this prospectus. All membership and jury fees are non-refundable. Overpayment of any fee will be considered a donation and will not be refunded. Submission of work for this exhibit will be construed as acceptance of all conditions set forth in prospectus. AWA and the Tucson Desert Art Museum reserve the right to return work that does not meet exhibition standards. Every reasonable care will be taken with original artwork. The Tucson Desert Art Museum will be responsible for insurance of artwork while at the Bennington for the amount specified on Record of Consignment. The Artist is responsible for insurance of artwork to cover the full value of the artwork while in transit.
CALENDAR – 2017 – Tucson Desert Art Museum Show
March 21 – May 28 Application process
May 28 Deadline for on-line submissions. NO MAILED SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED.
June 29 Finalists announced
July 13 Completed and signed Consignment forms due back to AWA
Sept 25 – Oct 3 Artworks must arrive at the Tucson Desert Art Museum
Oct 3 – Dec 13 Exhibition duration – Tucson Desert Art Museum
Nov 1 AWA All Members Painting Social, Agua Caliente Park, 8 am – Noon
Nov 1 Tour of Metal Arts Village, 2 – 4 pm
Nov 2 AWA All Members Painting Social, Tucson Desert Botanical Gardens, 8:30 am – Noon
Nov 2 Collector’s Home Tour, 2 – 4 pm
Nov 2 Meet & Greet, 5 – 7 pm
Nov 3 All Members Meeting, 9 am – 11 am
Nov 3 Master Member’s Meeting, 11 am – 1 pm
Nov 3 Artists’ Reception & Awards Ceremony, 5:30 – 8:00 pm
Nov 4 Symposium at the Tucson Museum of Art, 9 am – 4 pm
Dec 13 Last date for shipping and or pick-up from Tucson Desert Art Museum of unsold work.
QUESTIONS: For AWA questions: Robin Knowlton - email@example.com
For technical questions, please go here: https://onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx