Saranac Lake ArtWorks
2017 Adirondack Plein Air Festival
2017 Adirondack Plein Air Festival
The 2017 Adirondack Plein Air Festival, which started in 2009, is a wonderful opportunity for artists to experience the rugged beauty of New York State’s Adirondack Mountains, inspiration for many 19th century Hudson River School painters. Sponsored by Saranac Lake ArtWorks, the event will take place August 14-19, with headquarters at the Adirondack Artists Guild Gallery in the charming, historic village of Saranac Lake. There are 4 1/2 days of outdoor painting, a Nocturne Contest, a BBQ dinner, a “Paint the Town” Silent Auction, a Special Preview Party, a Quick Draw Competition, and a huge Show & Sale. A pre-event plein air painting workshop, conducted by Awards Juror Aline Ordman, will be held August 13-14.
This event will be open to all plein air artists in the US and Canada. Approximately 50 artists will be selected to participate.
Registration will be $35 with the submission of 3 images, all plein air paintings. All entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid by the entry deadline. Acceptance is not guaranteed.
Entering Your Images:
Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: www.onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx.
Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
There are 3 event selection jurors: Massachusetts artist and 2016 Awards Juror, John MacDonald; New York artist and former Awards Juror, Anne Diggory; and Delaware artist Sarah Yeoman. The Awards Juror for the 2017 Adirondack Plein Air Festival will be Vermont artist Aline Ordman. Prize winners will be selected from works created at the event.
All of the specific event information will be provided to selected artists and is available on our website: http://saranaclakeartworks.com/pleinair
All sales are handled by Saranac Lake ArtWorks. Participating artists are asked to provide one small painting for the “Paint the Town” Silent Auction. This is a fund-raiser and part of the proceeds are donated to the Saranac Lake Central School District art program and 50% is returned to the artists.
For all other sales, through the Quick Draw Competition and the Show & Sale, there will be a 30% commission retained by Saranac Lake ArtWorks.
Saranac Lake ArtWorks has a list of area motels, B&B’s, and rentals on their website, and that includes some economical dormitory style housing. Some groups of artists get together and rent a house for a week, sharing the costs. Limited complimentary lodging is available with host families. Artists must provide their own transportation to and from Saranac Lake, NY. Contact ArtWorks with questions.
$5000 total, in awards will be given out, in cash and merchandise, as well as some exhibit opportunities.
Timeline of events including
1. Open for entries: January 6, 2017
2. Entry Deadline: March 27, 2017
3. Notification date: April 20, 2017
4. April 30: Artists agreements signed and returned
5. August 13-14: Pre-event Plein Air Painting Workshop by Aline Ordman - Any fun things happening during the event.
6. August 14: Artist Check-In & Surface Stamping, 12 noon - 7 pm. Nocturnes begin that evening.
7. August 15: 1st full day of painting at the Paul Smith’s College VIC, BBQ Chicken Dinner at 5 pm (tickets must be purchased in advance).
8. August 16: “Paint the Adirondacks” Day - artists’ choice; maps with suggested locations available.
9. August 17: “Paint the Town” Day - artists paint in the historic Village of Saranac Lake, donating 1 small painting for the Silent Auction
10. August 18: “Paint the Saranac” Day - artists will have several locations to paint the mountain views along the Saranac River.
11. August 18: 2 pm - all framed paintings due; artists hang own work in Town Hall.
12. August 18: 4 pm - Jurying
13. August 18: 6-9 pm: Special Preview Party and Awards presentation
14. August 19: 10am-noon: Quick Draw Competition, downtown Saranac Lake
15. August 19: 12-5pm: Show & Sale in the Town Hall
16. August 19: 5pm - Exhibit and event ends; artists remove work.
By signing the agreement to participate in the 2017 Adirondack Plein Air Festival, you give permission to Saranac Lake ArtWorks to use photos or you and your work for publicity and promotion purposes and you agree to the sales commissions as described above.