Peninsula Art League
2017 Open Juried Art Show
2017 Open Juried Art Show
September 8 – October 22
Deadline for entries: July 5, 2017
The Peninsula Art League is pleased to announce its 15th Annual Open Juried Art Show. This year the show will again be held at the beautiful Harbor History Museum www.harborhistorymuseum.org. This impressive state-of-the-art structure on the waterfront in downtown Gig Harbor has a large, dedicated gallery and elegant common space. Each year, artists from across the nation and Canada submit over 300 entries to the show. This venue provides ample space to accept and show over 100 works of art. Twenty-five prizes were awarded to entrants in the 2016 Open Show, totaling up to $4,760.00.
Gig Harbor, Washington, historically a small fishing village, is now home to pleasure boats yet continues to host one of the largest commercial fishing fleets on the west coast today. Its location on Puget Sound attracts many visitors who enjoy walking along the waterfront with spectacular views, friendly people, small and unique shops, restaurants, and numerous art galleries. This area has become known for its active and supportive community of artists.
JUROR, MICHAEL STASINOS
Born in Canoga Park, Calif., Michael now calls Seattle home. He attended Southern Utah University, where he studied both theater and fine art. “I began my university education by studying to become an actor,” he says.
“However, exposure to the visual arts diverted my interest into new creative possibilities. The years I spent developing back-stories for my characters as an actor, or dressing sets to enhance the story as a director, had an influence on the type of artist I would become. I discovered early on that I was interested in representational and figurative art.”
Much to his delight, he discovered the MFA program at the New York Academy of Art, a program dedicated to exploring contemporary figurative ideas in art, with respect to its history and past techniques. His exhibition history includes many solo and group exhibitions at two of the top galleries in the region, first at Martin-Zambito Gallery, and then beginning in 2007, at Woodside-Braseth Gallery, both in Seattle.
While pursuing his passion for his painting, Michael is an Associate Professor of Art & Design at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Wash. Prior that that, he taught landscape and figurative painting at Gage Academy of Art in Seattle. More information may be found at http://michaelstasinos.com/
Michael will present a three-day figure drawing workshop Fri.-Sun, Aug. 25, 26 & 27. For more information on the workshop, see the Peninsula Art League website www.peninsulaartleague.com, or contact the workshop manager Frances Buckmaster firstname.lastname@example.org. Workshop fee is $425 (includes full-time model for 3 days).
Feb 17 - OnlineJuriedShows.com opens.
July 5 - Deadline to submit entries.
August 4 - Notification of accepted entries.
August 25, 26 & 27 - Michael Stasinos' figure drawing workshop.
September 1, 10:30 am to 2:30 pm - Shipped and hand-delivered artwork must arrive.
September 8, 6:00 pm–8:00 pm - Opening Reception & Awards Presentation.
October 22 - Show closes.
October 24, 12:00–3:00 pm - Pick up hand-delivered art.
*Shipped art will be returned within two weeks.
• PAL members: $45 for 1 to 3 pieces
• Non-members: $50 for 1 to 3 pieces
• Entry fees must be paid by the entry deadline.
• Acceptance is not guaranteed.
• There is an additional $40 fee per piece for handling shipped artwork.
• Artists must be 18 years or over.
• Entries must be original works of art, entirely the work of the entrant and executed within the last two years.
• All entries must be for sale. The Harbor History Museum, a non-profit community organization, charges a 40% commission.
• Entries must not be prints or copies in part or whole of paintings or photographs by other artists.
• Hand-pulled prints from intaglio, woodblock, or serigraph are acceptable.
• Reproductions are not eligible, except photography.
• Works produced in workshops or under supervision are not eligible.
• Best of Show - $1,200
• First Place /painting, pulled prints & 3-D - $750
• Second Place /painting, pulled prints & 3-D - $350
• First Place Photography/Digital Art - $750
• Plus many sponsored awards.
• Entry fees are non-refundable and include a maximum of three (3) entries per artist.
• Entries will be selected for the exhibition from digital images only.
• Awards will be judged from the original art.
• Artists may not substitute another work for a Peninsula Art League (PAL) accepted work, nor withdraw any PAL accepted work prior to the end of the exhibition.
• PAL reserves the right to refuse, on arrival, any artwork that does not meet the eligibility requirements and conditions, does not match the submitted image, or is of unacceptable quality not discernible in the digital entry.
• 2-D work
Min. framed size: 12 inches in any dimension.
Max. framed size: must not exceed 2200 sq. in.
Art must be sturdily framed, wired to the weight of the artwork, labeled on the back and ready to hang. No sawtooth hangers. Gallery wrapped canvas need not be framed unless the edges are unfinished.
• 3-D work
Free-standing sculpture must fit within a 4x4x6 foot space, max. weight, 150 lbs. Work must be accompanied by its own pedestal. White, black, grey or finished wood only.
How to enter
• You can enter your images online at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com.
• Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
• Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: https://onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx.
• Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
• July 5 is the deadline to submit entries.
• Show catalog is generated directly from the information entered online. Accuracy is the artist’s responsibility.
• Artists will be notified on August 4 of acceptance.
• Works may be hand-delivered or shipped. Instructions will be included with the acceptance letter.
• A pre-paid shipping label must accompany shipped works.
• There is an additional $40 fee per piece for handling shipped works.
• Entry into this show gives the Peninsula Art League (PAL) permission to reproduce accepted artwork for promotional use, in the catalog, slide show, and on our website.
• While the utmost care is taken in handling artwork, neither PAL, nor its representatives, nor the Harbor History Museum will be responsible for damage or loss from any cause.
For more information, email Gayle Thomson at email@example.com.