Grand Marais Art Colony
Plein Air Grand Marais 2017
18 years and older
$15 jury fee (non-refundable)
$40 registration fee (Due upon acceptance)
May submit 4 images.
Entry fees must be paid by the entry deadline. Acceptance is not guaranteed.
Competition Awards Juror:
The Selection Committee is a distinguished panel comprised of art collectors and artists.
The Grand Marais Art Colony is hosting the 15th Annual Plein Air Grand Marais painting competition. Sixty painters paint iconic North Shore scenery, from rushing waterfalls and expansive Lake Superior vistas, to rustling aspen trees and towering old growth pines.
Since 1947, outdoor painting has been a pillar in the creation and development of the Grand Marais Art Colony. Founder, Birney Quick, saw a natural integration between this pristine wilderness and artistic inspiration. The first year, Quick brought 20 students to explore and paint the rugged coast and inland expanse of waterways and forests. Since then, thousands of emerging & professional artists have sought a creative & spiritual home at the Art Colony, all contributing to the growth and formation of this vibrant artistic community. Plein Air Grand Marais celebrates this legacy by attracting renowned painters and art patrons to the event, enhancing our reputation as a premiere arts destination.
Over 5,000 visitors attend the exhibition
In 2016, art sales totaled ~$30k
• Welcome & Check in starts on Friday, September 8, 9am – 4pm. Artists may check-in and get panels, canvas or paper stamped any time from 9am – 4pm. Artists may paint September 8-14.
• Artwork Validation - All paintings and drawings must be validated with the 2017 stamp before the work is eligible for the competition. Painting surfaces can be stamped at the Art Colony office between 9am-4pm beginning Friday, September 8 through Thursday, September 14.
• Night Paint can be done any evening during the competition
• Competition Area – Anywhere in Cook County, from the Canadian Border to the Caribou River in Schroeder – 3,340 square miles of North Shore beauty
• Be visible – While we do not require artists to paint in any specific locations, we do strongly encourage choosing one of our suggested painting locations so we can guide visitors to seek you out.
• Come prepared – Small town charm is part of what makes Grand Marais endearing. That said, there are limited art supplies available here, so come prepared with all the materials you will need to create and exhibit. Art Materials: paints, solvents, brushes, pastels, pencils, canvas, paper, and easels –the kitchen sink. Exhibition materials: frames, glass, hooks, wire, mattes, or any other items you might need.
• Artwork MUST be framed, wired and ready to hang to be included in the exhibition. Maximum size for artwork, including frame is 30” in any direction. For example, the largest piece you can submit is 30” x 30” including frame. NO EXCEPTIONS.
• A total of 4 paintings per artist will be accepted into the exhibit. 2 paintings in main competition category, 1 quick paint painting and 1-night painting. Up to 2 paintings may be held in reserve storage to replace sold artwork at no additional cost. These paintings are not eligible for competition prizes.
• Paintings made during Art Colony Plein Air classes between the dates of September 8-14 cannot be submitted to the juried competition.
• ARTISTS MUST PAINT OVERWHELMINGLY on location. Photographs may not be used at any time in the completion of competition paintings.
• All exhibit art must be for sale and remain in the exhibit until the end of the show or until purchased.
Entering Your Images:
• Submitted images should be of plein air paintings only.
• Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
• Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: https://onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx
• Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
All artwork is subject to a 40% commission. Commissions benefit the Grand Marais Art Colony and the Johnson Heritage Post.
For Lodging Partners, please refer to the Grand Marais Art Colony’s Business Partners web page (lodging discounts for Art Colony students/participants are listed on our Business Partner web page).
6 cash prizes awarded totaling $2000
February 1 | Jury Open
April 9 | Jury Applications Close
April 28 | Jury Notification
Friday, September 8 | Plein Air Grand Marais starts
Saturday, September 9, 1- 4pm | Lutsen Mountains Paintout
Thursday, September 14, 4 -5:30pm | Quick Paint at Artists’ Point
Friday, September 15, 8:30-10am | Painting drop off
Friday, September 15, 11am | Juror Lecture
Friday, September 15, 5-7pm | Opening Reception at Johnson Heritage Post
September 15 – October 29, 10am-4pm | Exhibit & Sale at Johnson Heritage Post
Grand Marais Art Colony will deduct a 40% commission on all artwork sales during the competition & exhibition. I understand the Grand Marais Art Colony will conduct all sales.
Images of artwork may be used for current and future promotional use related to the exhibit and/or GMAC.
Insurance for your work is the artists’ responsibility. Non-Liablility: GMAC assumes no responsibility for theft, damage or liability to art incurred before, during or after the exhibition. Submission of work implies artist’s agreement to these conditions.
Entries are to be processed through Online Juried Shows. Application, jury fee, and four images are due by April 9, 2017. NO entries will be accepted after this date.