Connecticut Women Artists
2017 CWA National Open Juried Show
87th Annual National Open Juried Exhibition
September 1 – 29, 2017
The Vernon Art Center East
Opening Reception and Award Ceremony:
Sunday, September 10, 2:00 - 4:00 pm
This show is open to all women artists of the USA. Original work in painting, mixed media, drawing, collage, printmaking, fiber art, photography, sculpture. Photomechanical reproductions of original work (giclee prints) are not eligible. Three images may be submitted. Awards: Cash prizes will be awarded. Hand-delivered and shipped two-dimensional work must be no larger than 30” in either direction (with frame) and 35 lb max. Sculpture (3D) must weigh less than 40 lbs. All work must be ready to hang, no clip frames, saw-tooth hangers, tacks or pins. Work submitted must not have been shown in previous CWA shows, and must have been completed within the last three years. Please note: Work will not be accepted if these requirements are not met.
For more information or questions, please contact:
Patricia Corbett, ph 201-803-3766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dian Kingsbury: ph 860-745-7851 or email email@example.com
Each artist may submit up to three works.
CWA Members (2017 dues must be paid in full): First entry: $25, second/third entry: $10 each.
Non-Members: First entry: $35, second/third entry: $10 each.
All entry fees are non-refundable and must be paid by the entry deadline. Acceptance is not guaranteed.
Please Note: CWA has an elected membership process once a year. For more info go to: www.ctwomenartists.org
Juror of Selection and Awards
Nancy Stula is Executive Director, William Benton Museum of Art, UCONN, Storrs, CT
Online Registration deadline is Sunday, July 30, 2017 11:59 p.m. PST, and submission is only through the OnlineJuriedShows.com website. You may enter up to three images online at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com.
Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up.
Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please write to us here: www.onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx.
Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
Up to $2,200 will be awarded in cash prizes.
The Connecticut Women Artists organization was founded 88 years ago in 1929 when thirteen women artists exhibited at the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford. Since exhibition opportunities for women were rare at that time these women started a society of female artists. As one of this country’s oldest continuing art organizations for women, CWA now has over 200 elected members. CWA has arranged for this year's show (2017) to be held at Vernon Art Center East. Because Vernon has no storage space and no capacity for receiving artworks, CWA has arranged for any accepted work that cannot be hand delivered to be shipped to a nearby business. A commission of 20% will be taken by The Vernon Art Center East.
Vernon Art Center East
709 Hartford Turnpike, Vernon, CT 06066
Artwork selected for this show will be on display at The Vernon Art Center East, Vernon, CT.
Timeline of events
1. Deadline for entries: work must be submitted online by Sunday 30, 11:59 p.m. PST.
2. Go to https://onlinejuriedshows.com/ViewClosedShow.aspx to check on the selection of your artwork after Thursday, Aug 10.
3. Drop off of artwork: Saturday, Aug 26, and Sunday, Aug 27, 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
4. Delivery of shipped artwork: Selected work must arrive between August 22-23.
5. Pickup of artwork: Saturday, Sep 30, and Sunday, Oct 1, 1:00 - 3:30 pm. Pick up on these dates is mandatory as Gallery has no storage area.
6. Opening Reception and Award Ceremony: Saturday, Sep 10, 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Work must be completely dry, suitably framed and wired for hanging. No complex installations, clip frames or saw-tooth hangers. Hand-delivered two-dimensional (2D) work must be no larger than 30” x 30”, including frame. Sculpture (3D) must weigh less than 40 lbs.
Decision of the judge is final. But the director may override any selection made by the Juror.
Shipping Instructions (for accepted work only) and Disclaimer
If it is necessary for you to ship your work, please comply with the guidelines below:
1. DO NOT SHIP WORK TO THE VERNON ART CENTER EAST. Please Note: any work shipped to the Vernon Art Center East will be refused and returned to sender. Fees will not be refunded if your work misses the show due date or is shipped to the wrong place.
2. See shipping address below in RED.
3. Artwork must be shipped “installation ready.”
4. Accepted artwork must be shipped UPS only. No COD shipments will be accepted.
5. Artist will be responsible for ALL shipping expenses! A pre-paid shipping label for return of your work MUST be included for your work to be hung in show.
6. Artists are responsible for any shipping insurance related to their work while in transit to/from The Vernon Art Center East. CWA, the Vernon, and the shipped location are NOT responsible.
7. CWA and the Vernon are not responsible for any work that is lost, stolen or damaged once picked up by shipper for return.
8. All work shipped must be shipped securely and safely, such as Airfloat StrongeBox™ (highly recommended) or similar re-useable professional packing box.
9. Packing materials must be easy to unpack and be re-used to easily re-pack and return work to the artist, at their expense, at the conclusion of the exhibition. ABSOLUTELY NO PACKING PEANUTS PLEASE.
10. ALL SHIPMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED AUGUST 24-25, 2017. Late deliveries or damaged work will not be accepted. The address for shipped work should be included, and they will be returned COD.
(Please note: work shipped to The Vernon Art Center East will be refused and returned to sender.)
24 Austin Circle
South Windsor, CT 06074
Handling of artwork is done with great care. However, CWA, Inc., its officers or agents, and The Vernon Art Center East are not responsible for loss or damage of any kind. CWA reserves the right to photograph work or use submitted images for publicity. The Show Committee reserves the right to reject work not accurately represented by the images submitted. Only work chosen by juror can be in show – no substitutions. Work cannot be picked up or removed until the last day of the exhibition. Any artwork left at the Vernon after 3:30 PM on Saturday, Sep 30, will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of. Insurance is the responsibility of each artist. Entry by artist confirms compliance with all conditions herein stated.